This is for a special someone (I told you I would do it)! This post is all about the wonderful world of cilantro. Cil-what? That's right everyone, I am dedicating a whole 10 minutes of my life to discussing a little green Mexican herb.
Today Maria and I enjoyed "Coriandrum sativum" atop our nachos. I think we are so used to tasting hints of cilantro in salsa or in Mexican food, but just plopping it right on top of a big pile of sour cream and pinto beans was perfect. It was clean and crisp and added a whole different spin to such usual and plain ingredients.
My cousin Morgan makes the best homemade salsa and unlike the usual Pace or Herdez, it has a really strong and fresh flavor...maybe that is why Morgan's salsa will forever by my favorite. Cilantro is a little spicy, a little smoky, and at the same time, cooling when it is in your mouth. Strange but oh so tasty. Though I don't use cilantro often, here are some tasty ways to easily work the little leaf into your cooking:
Cilantro Rice: Mix some garlic and cilantro leaves in a blender. Saute onions in a little bit of oil until soft, brown uncooked rice until opaque. Cook as usual but try using chicken stock instead of water
Cilantro Avacado Potato Salad: Mix softened potatoes and onions in a bowl, add some garlic, salt, and pepper. Dice avacado, a little jalepeno, and cilantro and toss in with potatoes with some lime juice
Cilantro Lime Mayo: Blend lime juice, hot sauce, garlic, dijon mustard, and cilantro. Process until leaves are finely minced. Add some mayo and mix just until blended...add to anything!
Some side notes that may be of some importance:
1. Mix cilantro with some mint juice and you can use it as a facial toner
2. Coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant
3. Some people believe it can relieve insomnia or anxiety
4. You may be allergic to it...and then don't blame me! :)
Happy Eating!
4 comments:
mmmmmm! I LOVE CILANTRO! haha
I'm not to big of a fan of cilantro but i will eat it no problem. Jeremy on the other had will NOT eat it its dish soap to him :)
I love Cilantro...it's my all time favorite spice/herb!!!
You Rock Girlfriend! I love cilantro, I realy wish I could order it to-go, always and forever... always and forever :)
Post a Comment