Thursday, May 6, 2010

One Day When I Grow Up

In honor of my mother and in preperation for one day when I too will have such a huge job, I've decided to make a list of some of the wonderful ways my mom has shown me how to be a good mom.


  • Sacrificed so we could have the experience. I know paying for swim, dance, and gymnastics was not cheap. She took the time to sign me up for junior forest ranger training, beauty pageants, and 4-H. She drove all over the world to take me to learn how to be a broadcaster, shoot a gun, build a snowman, march in band competitions, and be in musicals. She sacrificed.

  • Sang to me. We sang in the car, while we made dinner, before we went to bed, at church, walking around the block. She gave me my voice.

  • Made me cook. I hated to cook. She was determined and I dodged her as much as I could, but she eventually won.

  • Didn't make things a big deal. I remember being so scared to ask her if could wear makeup. I was about to go to bed and I went in her room, sat on the bed with her and clung her pillow to my chest. She asked me what I wanted to say....I covered my head with the pillow and muttered, "I want to wear makeup". She said, "Okay...."

  • Made me pull weeds. She taught me how to work and work hard. I can't count the hot summer days when we raked, shoveled, and pulled weeds on our acre of land. Filling trash bags and wheelbarrows. I remember going in my room and laying under the fan in my undies. Hot and exhausted, but accomplished.

  • Let me make choices. There were things I did that I know she didn't agree with, but she knew they wouldn't kill me, so she let me do them. She let me learn from my mistakes instead of protecting me from the life lesson.

  • Loved my dad. There were days when I'm sure that was a hard thing to do, but she was an example of unconditional love for my father, which made me understand how much she really loved me.

  • Taught me about money. There were plenty of people that made fun of me for having Easter candy at Christmas. I have always loved having a 'stash' and my mom has always supported it. She helped me open my first bank account, made me save, and also taught me to spend. I was always encouraged to buy something after I had saved some money, especially if it was a good deal.

  • Spoke frankly. I can never blame my mom for not telling me something, even if I didn't want to hear it. She is open and honest and says what's good for your head, even if it's hard on your heart (and your ears!)

She would tell you she disagreed, but this woman is a REALLY good mom, and continues to influence my life to this day. One day, when I grow up.....

5 comments:

AnnaSchu said...

this is seriously beautiful. thank you for sharing. she is an amazing person.

Jonathan and Sarah said...

CUTE! You will be just as awesome of a mom as your mom is... i know it!!

Megan said...

Wow, Kristina. This made me tear up...I might just copy your idea in honor of my mom for Mother's Day. You will be an amazing mom one day too:)

Beth and John Schaub said...

awe I loved this post <3

the haynie's said...

I love your mom too! I didn't know her 30 minutes before she offered to watch my kids for a weekend get-away. How generous, fun, and amazing is she?! It must me those same fabulous qualities I see in you that make you a favorite person of mine.